Thursday, April 29, 2010

FIM 2010 – Update 1 Released to Windows Update

There are two patches available on Windows Update which were published on April 27th:

  • Forefront Identity Manager 2010 Service and Portal Update (KB978864)
  • Forefront Identity Manager 2010 Synchronization Service Update (KB978864)

As of the publication of this blarticle, the aforementioned KB article was not published online.

Service and Portal Update

This one starts out with and throws an error almost immediately because your FIMService is still running. You need to stop the FIMService to start the installation.

If you are running the Synchronization Service on the same box it will return the following dialog and allow you to stop the service – why it doesn't also do this for the FIMService is slightly odd:

I ran this one first on my server running FIMService and FIMSynchronizationService (but no portal) and it updated those components properly.  Running it against one of your web frontends will retract the WSP solutions and republish.

I was very happy to see that the update did not remove any of my additions to the service configuration file that we add for custom workflow.

Synchronization Service Update

This update applies after the FIMService update (if they are collocated) and will need access to you original installation files (Synchronization Service.msi). Before attempting this update you should backup your database and you are warned:

On one upgrade I did not have to reboot, on a subsequent on I did:


Object RTM Version Update 1 Version
miiserver.exe 4.0.2592.0 4.0.3531.2
Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Service.exe 4.0.2592.0 4.0.3531.2

It is unknown as to exactly which bugs are fixed in this release as there are no release notes.




I tried installing both updates in my lab environment (portal/sync/fimservice + dedicated SQL 2008 box), and I experienced the following:

I hope I'm an isolated case.


Andreas Kjellman pointed me to the fact that I needed to have the SQL native client install on the FIM Sync box. Had no idea that was a requirement. Update went fine afterwards.

Post a Comment